11.18.2014

A Woman... Taken By The Wind











Dress: ASOS (2 years ago), Vest: H&M, Hat: Lotus, Shoes: Jessica Simpson, Cuff: Celene Stones (15% off when you EM Krista at CeleneStones@gmail.com), Necklace: Blue Jane Jewelry (BlueJaneJewelry on Instagram)

Do you ever feel as if you were born in the wrong time? Like you should have been part of a different generation?

I am a child of the 80's and 90's, but I've always been obsessed with the 1960's and 1970's. The music... politics... activism... fashion... all of it. When I was a teenager almost every tape/CD I owned was of a band that started touring long before I was born. The Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers Band, Creedence, America, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Fleetwood Mac, Lynard Skynard, Neil Young, Van Morrison, The Doors... and the list goes on. Most of my favorite groups from that era were made up almost entirely of men. One group however was home to a woman I have been obsessed with since I was 13 years old. I still remember the first time I ever saw her. It was the closest thing I have ever experienced to love at first sight. I shit you not. I was taken. Enchanted. I could not stop looking at this woman. Could not stop listening to her. I became a bit obsessed really. I was like... "Yo! Hold up. Am I a lesbian? I love her. For real."

It was 1993. I was 13 and I was up late at night. Everyone else in my house was asleep and I was in the living room channel surfing at 1 or 2 am. I stumbled across a Fleetwood Mac Concert on PBS. The video quality sucked, but the sound was amazing. And there she was... Stevie Effing Nicks. She was amazing. Half woman, half magic.

Her voice... her clothes... the way she moved... danced... her hair... her passion. I was mesmerized. For the first time in my life I literally wanted to "be" someone else. I started watching from the couch and ended up on the floor, sitting cross legged and glued to the screen with my nose no more than 4 inches from the TV set. I must have caught the concert at the beginning because I remember watching it for hours. I woke up the next day and had to know everything there was to know about Stevie Nicks. I bought every CD/tape/record I could get my hands on and devoured all of the lyrics on the inside covers. I learned that she is a true artist. Beautiful, tortured, a gyspy soul. A feminist, lover, writer. Magical. The Queen of Rock & Roll. One of the BEST singers on the planet. Her raspy, raw, beautiful voice is my most favorite sound. One of a kind then... and now.

It's been 21 years since I stayed up until the wee hours watching her dance across stage, but her music has been the soundtrack to my life. I have cried for hours listening to her songs, fallen in love to her lyrics, gone through major life changes and found something new to relate to in a song I have heard over 200 times. She is my all-time favorite. Over all others. Forever and ever. Amen.

I guess this outfit made me think of her. Dirty hair... a long dress... faux fur/feathers and a floppy hat. I wish I looked half as effortlessly cool as she does... but alas... there has only ever been, and there will only ever be just one. Bella Donna.




No comments:

Post a Comment